Friday, June 26, 2009

Take a tea break with me


It's 3pm on a Friday. And the daily reminder just popped up on my Microsoft Outlook that it's tea time. Why did I set this reminder? A few reasons.... I'm not English, so I don't have an internal clock that says, "It's 4pm. Time for tea." And..... I realized I get engrossed in my work and don't take breaks. And when I did take breaks, I was EATING... and really I just need to find some other fixation than the free bagels and cream cheese in the kitchen here at work.

When I was in college, I worked in Walt Disney World on the College Program, where I was paired up with 5 other girls to live in an apartment. I lived there for three semesters... so count 'em up, yes... that's 15 roommates in about a year's time. One of those roommates was from Scotland - Tracy. (She had an internal clock for tea.) She would ask me some afternoons if I wanted to try a "wee cup of tea". I gave it a go, and for about 6 years - until I finished college - I thought that Lipton tea was just lovely. Now I know better. Lipton is only acceptable when we're in the middle of the woods camping and we were packing to please everyone.

I'm no longer a poor college student, and I can afford to make good trips to interesting places, so I have become a self-proclaimed tea snob. (The photo on today's posting is one I took of a tea field on the side of a road in Hangzhou, China. I literally had to said, "STOP! I want that photo." It was raining, the cabbie pulled over, I took the shot, and jumped back int he car.) I live in New York City now, and there is plenty of multi-cultural stuff going on here. When I'm not traveling and buying tea for trip souvenirs, I can go tea shopping here too. I get tea for gifts and I think it's fun to get all the accessories too. But honestly, I don't use all of that crap unless the tea requires it. I use the same tea mug every day at my desk for tea. But I've got loads of loose tea of all price ranges sitting here on my desk.

When I can take the time, and sit down with my cup of tea at my desk, I'm going to take a break... let you know what kind of tea I'm drinking, how I made it, where I bought it, whether it's good or not... and I'll spill whatever kind of stories that day's tea break conjures up in my head too. So grab a cup of tea and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. YAY!! Wendy's got a blog!!

    I can't wait to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo Hooo and Tea hee hee! I love blogs! And I've recently been turned on to the wonderfulness that is loose leaf tea. Teavana in the mall has me hooked. Mmmmm. Can't wait to read about what you're drinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So whatever happened to the Tea hee hee blog? You disappeared!

    ReplyDelete